Wednesday, August 15, 2012

In which we travel all day


So lots of good news! 

I’m here safely in Cumbaya! 

My Spanish is a-okay, even if I have to pause to look up a word or think a little longer about a conjugation or certain term sometimes. Conversation is totally adequate and fun. 
I have a LOT to say, in all languages and in this entry. 

Day 1: 

We had a 2-hour flight (which involved Savannah and I writing a brilliant children’s book about a fiesty chicken and a grumpy caterpillar) to Miami from Charlotte, waited for two more hours at the humongous Miami airport and chattered briefly with Philip and Lauren about whether the people around us were part of our program, spent a lot of time wandering the shops in the airport with Savannah. Miami airport seems to think that people who are waiting for planes to arrive are probably 60% preoccupied with going to a bar, 30% looking for expensive tax-free designer gifts, and 10% trawling for something resembling food. Because that was the concentration of the shops. 

This leopard was part of the 30%.
Although we managed to find some pretty good mozzarella tomato subs with lettuce that deceptively looked like basil. 



Things that happened on the Miami to Quito flight: 
  • me realizing the altitude sickness medicine I took before my flight from Charlotte does indeed cause dehydration (at the time of this writing, I am nursing a headache and drinking lots of fluid to replenish)
  • brief napping
  • watching The Magnolia Hotel on the plane TV
  • a bit of journaling
  • Oh, we also ate. They served me Brazilian Sprite, which is much more lime-y tasting than American Sprite.  
  • really awesome descending airplane views.  

Upon arrival: 
  • a teeny hiccup at customs that involved us hurrying to get a form that American Airlines failed to distribute to all the passengers on my flight

  • waiting in the customs line while the employees haggled about work hours for the shift change at 7:00. But everything was otherwise smooth. (Courtney, I’m wearing the braided bracelet you made me last year and am using another one you gave me in middle school as a zipper pull! I’m going to say they are good luck charms. =D) 

  • My host mom was a few minutes late, too, and as we waited for her we tried to help an American lady (suspected newly graduated undergrad student) struggling to find her host family with no contact information and 3 lost bags. Here is the area we waited for a bit after coming through customs and baggage claim and everything. Lots of host families in the wings.



  • Host mom came and drove us home! 

So some information about our living situation. 

First, we have a few characters in my host family. 
Natacha: host mom, probably in her mid 50s, loves hosting university students because none of her 3 kids were home for college so she wants to relive the days when they were our age and likes welcoming guests in her house. Is an architect along with her husband and, I would venture to add, is pretty wealthy.

Teo: LABRADOR PERRITO. He is 3 months old, teething, and got fat after Natacha’s oldest daughter took care of him for a few days and the 2-year-old granddaughter kept feeding him everything. He stays outside for most of the day and goes stir crazy. 

Antonio: Natacha’s second child, I think he’s about 27. He lives nearby and was at the house today hanging out and eating. He’s a civil engineer, went to school at Ohio University and works in town now. I used his smartphone, which kept trying to make my words autocorrect into Spanish words, to email my parents of my safe arrival since the internet in the house was temporarily down. 

Claudia: Natacha’s youngest child who lives with her, age 23. She’s either a currently practicing lawyer or studying to be one. Just got back from a trip to the beach today. 

Natalie and her kid: Natacha’s oldest daughter, married with two kids, one of which is the 2-year-old whose toys are all over the house and whose handiwork is apparent in Teo’s current girth. Architect, lives 3 blocks away. 

I met her husband just today and he's very sweet. I think he's Italian by birth? I haven't confirmed this. 

We have presented Natacha with our thank-you gifts. She likes wearing hats (SCORE FOR ME!) and loves eating peanuts (SCORE FOR SAVANNAH!). 


About the house and my living arrangements: 
The house is in a gated community with security guards at all hours of the day keeping watch at the gate. The area is not dangerous, the folks here are just rich and secluded. It is a five minute walk to the university and a 2 minute walk to the grocery store, which is attached to the pharmacy. 
It’s kind of gigantic. 
Hardwood floor on the first floor and stairs, carpet in the living room and sleeping rooms. Here are some pictures. 


This is the little living room outside of my room with lots of family pictures and decorative plates. 

This is the 2nd floor balcony view of the main living room. This doesn't really capture how it looks. I'm a bad photographer, you know that. 
2nd floor balcony view of the dining room and outside patio, which appears to never be in use. 

Alas, the true nature of my photography skills. Blurry picture of the 2nd floor balcony/living room space. 


The actual area where we eat. This was during the late afternoon. 

The kitchen. There is a maid who comes to do dishes and general upkeep on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. 


Savannah and I have our own rooms. Here is hers. 
Savannah's room, which was Natalie's old room. 
She shares the bathroom with Claudia. 
Here is mine. 
This is my room. I have my own bathroom and it's kind of great, except the water doesn't get hot very quickly so I'm going to take cold showers anyway. 

Natacha gardens in the area around her house and has flowers, oranges, apples, and AVOCADOS.
Part of the yard/garden area

View of the front door from the yard/garden

El árbol está lleno de aguacate! So excited. 

We promised her we’d cook a few days. 
We have wifi and American cable channels and a maid. Yeah... 


Fun facts:
There’s a thing called ‘pico y placa’, where people aren’t allowed to drive on the autovía (interstate) from 8 am to 8 pm on a certain day of the week according to the last digit of their license plate, to reduce traffic congestion. The penalties for driving on a day you’re not supposed to are $150 the first time and a day in jail, $250 the second time and 3 days in jail, and $450 the third time and a week in jail. We agreed that if you’re caught 3 times, you’re probably either an idiot or really desperate to drive that day of the week. 

It’s orange season in Quito right now, and street vendors sell 50 oranges for $1 at a time. We ate an orange each and I came in 2nd for the person with the most pepas (seeds). Savannah had 21, I had 25, Antonio had 35. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome detail, but I feel like needing some classes on English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah looks so little next to the tree!

    ReplyDelete

Pages - Menu